Sunday, March 22, 2015

ADDING TO THE STEAD LIBRARY. WHAT I WANT TO READ IN 2015.

Not that I don't love the internet. And I won't forget Google of course. But at times I yearn for something tangible to read.

I have began adding to the homestead library in order to have on hand references on the off chance that we don't always have the web to surf for endless info. I have begun to expand our "prepping" list and figure if we had to go off grid for any reason, the only books I would care much to have are books which can teach us valuable skills for living and surviving off grid.

Books with educational purpose really...... Ok, that's not my only reason.....

.... Maybe say a copy or two of Twilight... Annnnd 50 shades.... What? A girls gotta have her simple pleasures.

Alright, alright enough... ahem..

What can I say? I love books! The smell of a new book, the feel of the pages between your fingers. Reading gives me a sense of freedom and my eyes don't hurt as they do after hours of computer use. I never want my family to forget the importance of book and reading. So I want more educational and wholesome readying material available to us in order to eliminate as much need for youtube searching.

These are some books I have compiled from my own research and what I have seen a few other homestead bloggers recommended. I plan on adding most of these to our homestead library this year in hard copy! I hope yawl can take something away from any of these good reads.

Keeping a Family Cow: The Complete Guide for Home-Scale Holistic Dairy Prioducers, 3rd Edition  
By Joann S. Groham

Accidental Farmers        (#1 on my list, currently downloaded on the kindle)
By Tim Young
***Another great read from Tim, How to Make Money Homesteading

The Backyard Homestead
By Carleen Madigan

Encyclopedia of Country Living
By Carla Emery
*** I feel this is more of a just have for any library! So many good questions can be answered here.

Story's Guide to Chickens
By Gail Damerow

Storey's Guide to Rabbits
By Bob Bennett

Story's Guide to Pigs
By Kelly Klober

Ball Blue Book: Guide to Preserving** you can access many of these recipes from the internet but I love a hard copy book like this, such a farmstead must have. I just recently added this to our library, thought I had to add it in anyway!

Real Food Basics
By Kate Tietje

Ok, I'll stop myself, if I don't I'll NEVER get through all these great reads!!! Which one should I read first?

No comments:

Post a Comment